By Bruce Shawkey
This image (left) is from the book "A Man and His Watch." It says Hermes, but was made by Tavannes in 1928 the company was approached by English King Edward VIII to design a watch he could wear when golfing. By glancing down at his belt buckle, he could tell the time by depressing a button that would release a lid, revealing the watch.
Tavannes re-created watch in the 1990s (below). It has a titanium case (to reduce weight) and supposedly can be special-ordered for $5,750. I was working with Tavannes at the they unveiled this watch at a tade show in Las Vegas.


Hello sir
ReplyDeleteI am desperately trying to find information about a specific Gruen model . From what I’ve read online, you are the foremost authority. I have some fine watches and I understand that the model I’m looking for is not that, but it is important to me for sentimental reasons. I had read online about some health issues you had faced and I was worried that you might not be communicating about watches any longer. Thank you so much for considering this and not to be tacky but I would absolutely pay for your expertise if there was anyway you could reach out to me at 678-520-1847. I live in Atlanta.
Just a quick follow up to my comment above. I read on one of your other posts here how you Are retiring and I definitely don’t want to interfere with that. The Gruen I mentioned was given to me by my grandfather, and I lost it and would like to try to buy a replacement, but I can’t seem to remember the model and I remember it having a crown stem that you could push to change the date or something, but I’m not finding that anywhere.( It was a late model probably 1970s so not very collectible ) I understand this might be a nuisance and so I’ll understand if there’s no feedback, but it would mean a great deal to me if I could bounce this off of you. Anyway, just wasn’t sure how to contact you, but I put my phone number in the other ,comment . Thanks so much.
Delete