Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Waltham

 Here's one of the more interesting wrist watches from Waltham. Rectangle in 14kt white gold double hinging case with articulating lugs. Highly engraved case manufactured by Solidarity Case Co. This is pictured in the 2018 Shugart/Engle ID book (page 656) with an estimated manufacture of 1928. Mine is dated 1931 on the personized engraving. Dial has no doubt been relumed. Has a 7-jewel movement. It's not unusual to find a low jewel movement in solid gold case. Often these gold cased watches were marketed toconsumers who wanted to spend all their money on the case and very little money on the movement because it was of little concern. You find the same thing with pocket watches as well ... a low jewel movement inside a karat gold case. I don't mind the personalized engraving; in fact I like it. It helps date watch and tells a story. I bet this watch was very expensive in its day, hence the reason you don’t see too many of them. Many were probably lost to breakage or melt. I sold most of my watches to cover medical expenses, but this is one I just couldn't part with!













1 comment:

  1. Bruce, get well fast. And then stay well. Too bad I missed the watches you were selling. Would have been fun to put in a bid. I am sure they got good homes. Steve

    ReplyDelete