Sunday, June 25, 2023

Can't Judge a Book by its Cover

 By Bruce Shawkey

Found this interesting article in a 1958 issue of Europa Star magazine. I knew a fellow by the name of Mike Kesselhorn. He was overweight, dressed shabbily, was unkempt. He eventually lost a foot to diabetes. He was a watch and clock collector. One day, he wandered into an antique shop and wanted to look at some watches in a jewelry case. "I don't think you can afford those," said the shopkeeper. Mike whipped out his checkbook, which showed a balance over $100,000 and showed it to the shopkeeper. He had recently sold a parcel of farmland for a million dollars. The property now encompasses a large Woodmans supermarket, hotels, and restaurants. "Do you think I can afford it now?" he asked the shopkeeper. He completely shut down the storekeeper, who was speechless. Here is a similar story:

==========================

"I'm going out for an hour ", said Mr. Warren to his apprentice, Hector. " If anyone comes in while I'm away, please attend to them." 

Hector beamed. "Perhaps a chap will come in with his film star fiancée and ask to see a 3 carat diamond ring." 

"Well, show it to them and your horological course should enable you to answer any questions they may put to you. See you later." 

Hardly had the watchmaker left the shop when an elderly and shabbily dressed man came in and laid an old-fashioned watch on the counter. 

"My watch has stopped. Can you see what the trouble is, please ?" 

Hector opened the bulky model and examined the movement with what he hoped was an expert eye. 

"It looks as if the mainspring is broken and the watch needs cleaning. Would you care to leave it here and we will get it serviced for you?" 

The customer hesitated: "Will that be very expensive? " 

Hector took in the shabby suit. "Well, it's never very cheap of course but we won't charge you more than we have to. " 

The old man glanced towards the newly installed showcase where the latest Swiss automatic and calendar models were displayed on light grey pads. "If the repair work is going to be very expensive, I don't think I'll have it done." He tapped the showcase with his finger. "You've got some nice watches in here. Do you think I might have a look at some of them?" Hector placed a chair for him and laid a few models on the counter. Although the man's indigent appearance belied any likelihood of his buying these high-class articles, the apprentice drew attention to some of the more important features and the excellence design of the Swiss watches. The man examined them carefully one after the other and asked to be explained the mechanism of the automatic model, listening attentively to the replies. After a while Hector brought out a tray of cheaper models and laid it also on the counter. The customer examined these, too, but finally went back to the watches on the first tray. 

"I can't understand anyone being so lazy that he is unable to wind his watch every day, can you?" 

Caught off his guard, Hector was about to agree, when his horological training came to his rescue. He scratched his jaw thoughtfully. "I don't think the only advantage of a self-winding watch lies in the fact that it doesn't have to be wound. It also keeps better time because the mainspring never runs down completely. You just put it on and forget about it." He began to put the trays back. 

"I'll have it — the automatic model." The man spoke very quietly. Trying not to show his surprise, Hector placed the watch and its guarantee in a box and made up a neat parcel. 

When the customer had paid he sat down again. 

"Would you be so good as to show me some ladies' models. I think my wife would like one of these automatic ones also if they make them for ladies." 

When Mr. Warren came back, Hector mentioned his astonishing double sale. The watchmaker looked pensive. "Let me see ... you say he had grey hair and walked with a stoop. Did he have very black eyebrows? Why, that must have been Mr. Beak the magistrate. Always wears his oldest clothes when he's on holiday. I daresay he likes to relax incognito. " 

"Probably afraid of being bumped off ..." 

"In our trade, we cannot judge people always by their appearance. And I must say that you managed the sale very well. A difficult customer if any is Mr. Beak and I daresay he cross questioned you on every watch he handled. It's a bit of luck you're well up in your horological course." 

"Well, I must say, said Hector, "I was glad he picked on automatic watches. I know pretty well how they work now and I wonder that everyone doesn't buy them — they really are foolproof." Thinking of getting one for yourself one of these days?" Hector hesitated. "You're laughing at me. You think the poor apprentice can't afford more than a pin-lever. But maybe I'll astonish you one of these days, just as the shabby customer did me. and buy one of the new electric watches you haven't got in stock yet. After all I'm due for a raise and can buy a watch on the instalment plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment